When homeowners Gary and Johnyne purchased this one-level in West Linn, they knew they had a project on their hands. However, they could see the potential and knew that this home had more pros than cons. One-level living is hard to find, especially in the desirable West Linn area. Once the remodel is complete, they will be relocating from Wilsonville to be closer to Gary’s office in Southeast Portland. While traffic is one of the drivers for the move, they were drawn to the home’s layout to entertain family and friends – something they didn’t have with their current, new construction home. They’re coming from an open-concept floor plan, but they’re excited to create some separation to control the noise and look forward to having their own home offices.
The challenge? The couple has different taste. He’s more traditional while she’s always been a fan of contemporary homes. This 1989 home features various arches and columns, as well as white carpet, raised panel cabinetry, wainscoting, and built-in cabinets. The remodeling goal is to freshen up the home while focusing on the important areas such as the kitchen, master bedroom, paint and flooring. The home is in immaculate shape for being original and only having one owner.
The couple is working with our team to come up with the best way to modernize their space without overhauling the design elements already implemented throughout the home.
What’s changing during the remodel?
In the Kitchen:
- Eliminate extra doorway into kitchen near pantry
- Create space for microwave, beverage cooler, and new wall oven cabinet in Cherry
- New island with 3CM Cambria Skara Brae countertop
- Perimeter countertops are 3CM Pental Stormy Sky
- Island to have curved radius edge to echo the ceiling radius above
- Paint cherry cabinets
- Update pantry door
In the Master Bathroom:
- New vanity cabinet with 3CM Pental Stormy Sky countertop
- Remove curb and expand walk-in, tile shower
- Remove large tub deck and replaced with sleek freestanding tub
Throughout the Home:
- Refinish all existing oak hardwood floors
- Install new, solid oak flooring in entry hall, dining, and hall to master bedroom
- Install new carpet in family room, bedrooms, master suite, living room and entry stairs
- Paint walls and millwork throughout
- Update Laundry Room and keep existing cabinets
- Install new countertops, vinyl floor, plumbing and cabinet hardware