A 530-square-foot father-in-law suite was added to this 1978 existing home. We utilized the unused side yard to expand the one-story home's footprint and give the home more modern look. The new bedroom, bathroom and kitchen layout allow for a more usable dining room and larger family room.
The challenges were with supporting the oversized island waterfall slab countertop, maneuvering equipment into backyard for dig out, and extra blocking was needed to support the new hardwood flooring to run the same direction as the joists.
• Removed inefficient pantry
• Relocated refrigerator out of the walk-path
• Enhanced island and moved cooktop to back wall
• Removed carpet and laced in new hardwoods in family room
• Created a feature fireplace wall with built-ins for flat screen TV