Collected, personal, and practical.
After six years in their 1950 SW Portland home, our clients wanted a change. With their children growing up and becoming less destructive, they contemplated both short and long-term visions for the house. The 1950s charm had faded, and the last major update was in the 1980s.
The couple prioritized renovating the well-worn kitchen, dining, and living areas, as the current layout needed to make more sense for their lifestyle. They aimed to use the space better, particularly the underused backyard-facing windows, and use practical materials for their busy family. In their words, “We’re done with the status quo!”
Homeowner Wish List
- Bright kitchen
- Induction cooktop
- Additional storage
- Spice storage
- Open shelving
- Appliance garage
- Upgraded appliances
- Connection to dining and living rooms
Project Outcome and Results
- Changed the layout for better flow
- Removed the wall separating the kitchen from the dining room and added a beam
- Optimized storage with thoughtful kitchen cabinetry
- Included a beverage fridge in the kitchen island design
- Added lower cabinets with floating shelves above to create division between the dining and living room
- Added a sliding glass door to connect to the backyard
- Installed a new window in an original window framing location flanking the fireplace
- Added bookcases on both sides of the fireplace to add storage and character
- Installed blue glazed ceramic tile on the fireplace surround and hearth
- Laced in new hardwood flooring and refinished the existing hardwoods
Ready for a new kitchen?
You’ve waited long enough. Let’s transform your kitchen into a space you love. Work with our team to design a beautiful and functional kitchen completely customized to you.