1925 home functions for today.
New owners bought this 1925 Dutch colonial knowing there was an issue with an unpermitted, two-story addition. The homeowners brought in Mountainwood Homes to modernize the kitchen, master bedroom suite, media, and laundry rooms while bringing the home addition up to code.
Homeowner Wish List
- Deal with the unpermitted addition done by the previous owners in 2008
- Create a more transitional kitchen design
- Rework master bathroom layout and brighten up space
Project Outcome and Results
- Opened walls to verify previous electrical, plumbing, mechanical, and structural framing work met current codes and engineering requirements.
- Incorporated the dining table into the eat-in kitchen to fit their family’s lifestyle.
- Changed the kitchen layout to give a better view into the backyard with large Marvin sliding patio doors that provide the look of French doors in an area with little room for a swing door.
- Created a mudroom/command center area off the kitchen to hang coats and charge phones since the detached garage is in the backyard.
- Spruced up the existing guest bath with wainscoting, wallpaper, and pocket door.
- Relocated the toilet and created a private water closet in the master bath.
- Brightened up space with tile wainscoting, vintage-style clawfoot soaking tub, and diminished the cave-like shower to a reasonable size with glass panels.
Create the home you’ve always wanted.
Need help turning your outdated home into a fully functional and refreshed space? Work with our team to discover what’s possible, how to bring it all together, and create a cohesive look from room to room.